New in Storyline 360: Emphasis Animations (Beta)

Jan 23, 2024

Emphasis animations—the effects you know and love from PowerPoint—are now available in the beta version of Storyline 360! These eye-catching effects like pulsing, shaking, and teetering give you even more ways to grab and direct your learners' attention. And if you're designing animated scenes or interactions, you'll now have even more options for creating the exact experience you're looking for. The sky's the limit with this feature!

Ready to take your content to the next level? Simply select your object, go to the Animations tab, and click the Add Emphasis Animation drop-down arrow to choose an animation from the gallery. It's that easy!

And here's a time-saving benefit: Thanks to this feature, you can now preview local JavaScript triggers, such as ones that retrieve or set the value of a Storyline 360 variable, to ensure they work as expected.

Excited to check this feature out? Articulate 360 subscribers can access these animations right away. If you don't have Articulate 360, just start a free 30-day trial. For more details about emphasis animations, check out this article: Storyline 360: Emphasis Animations.

This feature is currently in beta—meaning it's still a work in progress. We'll continue to refine it, using your feedback as guidance. Comment below to share your experience using emphasis animations. We'd love to hear from you!

Pinned Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hello all!

In Storyline 360 (Build 3.85.31840.0), we fixed a bug that many of you were running into:

• Fixed: Emphasis-animation triggers could become incomplete after reopening a project file.

From here, all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app!

If you run into any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support team in a support case. 

68 Replies
Nicole Larson

As noted by a few others, my emphasis animations disappear. I can't nail down if it happens only when I rename the file (for a new edit date) or just when closing and reopening, or when publishing. But it is incredibly frustrating! This is happening in multiple courses; one file that was updated and one that was brand new just last week.

Every time I make a small edit I have to go through each slide that has emphasis and re-assign the trigger to the animation (the trigger remains, the emphasis is just unassigned... "When timeline reaches cue point #1, emphasize object using unassigned."

Lauren Connelly

Hello all!

In Storyline 360 (Build 3.85.31840.0), we fixed a bug that many of you were running into:

• Fixed: Emphasis-animation triggers could become incomplete after reopening a project file.

From here, all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app!

If you run into any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support team in a support case. 

Lindsay Garcia

Love this new addition to Storyline!
However, I am having an issue where once I save the Storyline file and reopen it, all of the emphasis triggers become "unassigned" and I have to go through and reapply the emphasis effect again (in the trigger). Attached a screenshot and submitted a support case.

Remini King

Emphasis animations, familiar from PowerPoint, have arrived in the beta version, offering captivating effects like pulsing, shaking, and teetering. These animations enhance learner engagement, providing more ways to direct attention effectively. Whether designing animated scenes or interactions, users now enjoy expanded options for crafting precise experiences. The introduction of emphasis animations opens doors to limitless creativity, empowering users to elevate their content to new heights. To get started, simply select an object, navigate to the Animations tab, and choose from the Add Emphasis Animation gallery. With this intuitive feature, creating dynamic and attention-grabbing content has never been easier. For more details visit reminiapkking.

S Chen

Emily,

I followed Tom Kuhlmann's  post instructions and it did work! I attached Tom's post and provided a sample of the edited trigger I set for a marker after I added the emphasis animation.

Tom should change his name to Yoda...Learn you must!

Brian Allen

Your trigger looks like it's set up exactly like mine... Like S Chen mentioned, you need to make sure there is a triggering event to start the emphasis animation (click, timeline, variable change, etc). So, one trigger to begin the emphasis animation, a second trigger to loop it once it's been triggered.

If that doesn't resolve the issue for you, I did  have a scenario where everything was set up correctly but still wasn't working, and I noticed that somehow I had ended up with an extra emphasis animation assigned to the object, up in the Animation toolbar. I couldn't find any triggers in the trigger panel linked to the extra animation, and when I removed the extra animation all worked well.

Good luck!

Ladislav Palšovič

Hallo,

I have problem with emphasis animation grow and shring. I tried to use grow when hover on object and return to initial state. Its working fine until I click on growed object and trigger lightbox slide. When I close lightbox it will remain in growed state (if I dont useshring) and other objects with grow also not working. Is somebody else facing this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Jose Tansengco

Hello Ladislav,

Sorry to hear that you ran into this issue. I was also able to replicate the behavior on my end using a new Storyline 360 project file so I filed this behavior as a possible bug. I've added this thread to the report so I can share any updates here as soon as they are available. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Paul Casey

Wondering if once you add an Emphasis, can you remove it.  Like animations, I can apply and animation, and if I choose that I no longer want it, I simply click the animations option again and choose none... But with Emphasis Animation, there is no "None" option, so your element is stuck with it unless you have the ability to Undo it..